Thursday, January 08, 2009

How the Ginch Made Christmas

My friend Moses and I have developed this habit of getting each other socks and underwear for Christmas. We used to laugh how every year our moms would, without fail, get us socks and underwear. But they'd always get us boring boxers and cheap 12-packs of socks. When what we really wanted was something a bit more fun and stylish. We are 'mos after all.

Well, about four years back, Moses surprised me with what would become my favorite underwear brand: Ginch Gonch. The name sounds silly...and a little dirty. Which is exactly what they are. Basically you can describe them in two words: Adult Underoos.

They come Superhero-style in bold blues and reds. Or with brightly-colored paisleys and bursting stars in the crotch. They even come with black tigers winking from the fly or pink eagles standing erect. And recently, can you believe they came out with little dump trucks and tractors??? I mean, come on. Sign me up!

Ginch Gonch knows what life is all about: living not like a king, but like a kid. As Fellini so lovingly once said, "Never lose your childish innocence. It's the most important thing." In the age of giant Calvin Klein billboards and hyper-glossy David Beckham print ads that showcase well-endowed packages, Ginch Gonch takes a bit of the seriousness out of sex...and slips in a little playfulness. And each new line is introduced with innuendoed (hehehe, in YOUR end-o) advertising along with raunchy, yet completely goofy, videos of supersexy models playing in rock quarries, cowboy ranches and hot dog stands.
Thus, I find myself searching the internet madly for out-of-stock styles and dropping $24 apiece for a pair before dropping my jeans. I love them so much that every Christmas since (and on many months in between), I treat myself to a new precious pair - especially when Moses makes the mistake of trying out other brands that year.

I know it sounds crazy, but I love them because of the way they make me feel. I love being in an utterly professional business meeting knowing I have on cartoon underwear underneath. It just makes me giggle. One time I even got caught by a business partner as I leaned over to unplug my laptop. She said, "love your pink undies." I may have blushed on the outside, but on the inside I was secretly delighted.To give you more than these visual aids, I will leave you with a video aid (don't be frightened, it's not what you think). It's one of my favorite scenes in a movie (and you better watch it 'til the end) with Cameron Diaz from Charlie's Angels. She dreams of being a dancing queen and wakes up smiling...and ready to bump her booty around in her undies. But a warning: don't try this trick at home! That would be such a waste. Take it out to the clubs. I know I do and it's always a favorite. Sometimes, when it's so inspired, your booty will dance with a mind of it's own. ;)

No comments: