Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Lust Life

I've always maintained the philosophy that life is short. And you don't know what happens afterward, so you gotta make sure you enjoy it, right? Well, my problem is that I seem to apply this same philosophy to credit cards. Financial responsibility is not one of my strong points. I mean, I always start out with the best of intentions. Honestly, I do. But then I see something pretty and shiny and before I know it, it's in the shopping cart. And of course once it's in the shopping cart...

Now I say shopping cart because it's not so much clothes that make me happy. Or jewelry or shoes or the latest iPod accessory. I have an undying love for crap. Little things that you believe for one brief, shining moment have the power to make your life more enjoyable. I'm not one of those people who stays up late watching infomercials with cracked-out eyes. Seriously. Stop laughing..I'm not. But I am one of those "perfect consumers." I will try anything once...or twice...ok, fine probably several times until I'm sick of it. Free cheese sample at Bristol Farms? Thanks, I'll have three. "Vintage" boots worn by all the male members of a Mexican family at one point? For five bucks, they're mine. Gigantic canopy leaves from Ikea meant for a six year-old girl to hang over her bed? Priceless.

Now, I'm not saying I don't feel bad and that I don't suffer for my choices. I do, I really do. But in the end, it's always worth it. Because that cheese became my favorite Sunday evening snack with a good wine. Those boots have given me many comfortable travels across the US. And the leaves? Why, I can almost see the stars above them as I close my eyes and drift off to sleep...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey baby! You need to go on Oprah's debt diet. No shit, it works for everyone I know who goes on it! Show some love to the best diva of them all!