Sunday, May 14, 2006

Faulty-Tasking

I don't believe in the value of multi-tasking. You can be having a perfectly good conversation with a close friend, but they get a text message on their cell phone and it's suddenly interrupted. You'll try to watch your favorite movie, but you have to pause it because someone just instant messaged you. I'm in rare writing form, typing out this blog...but the phone just rang so I have to answer it.


Normal people don't spend 15 minutes trying to decide what detergent to buy in the grocery store because they're too busy telling their friend about their date last night. And how many of us have been instant messaging three people, while also trying to download a song, check your MySpace for any new comments and do the dishes? Before you know it, you're typing the wrong thing in the wrong box and somebody's pissed that you weren't paying attention to them. It's like an Instant Message Orgy.

We are growing up through technology. And it gives us heightened levels of information and communication. And these are wonderful, beautiful things. But we're getting sloppy. We're abusing it and losing sight of what's real. Where's the focus? Whatever happened to being with one person at a time and giving that person your undivided attention? We think we're so advanced. That because we can "multi-task" we are almost omnipotent. But we're not. We don't gain powers...we merely distribute them unevenly.

But I think it runs deeper than that. It's not as simple as efficiency. It's about desperate and constant cries for attention. Our self-worth seems justifiable only through the praise of others. Who loves me now? Who loves me more? How many people love me right now!!!?!?

OMG, someone just left me a new comment on MySpace!!! I'll have to finish this blog later...please hold.

1 comment:

Francia M said...

How about when a cube mate only 5 ft away from you says to IM her if I need her instead of saying, "Yo" because her Ipod buds are in and its best to reach her via IM (umm, 5 feet away in whispering distance). I threw a plastic knife and a wooden coffee stirrer at her. I think my frustration is justified.